Skip to main content
Qualifications Benefits Where We Work Where We Serve Request Info See What's Possible How to Apply

Environmental Health Specialist

Leading environmental protection for the nation.

Leading environmental protection for the nation.

Officers In Action

A Message from Chief Environmental Health Officer CAPT Jiggens

Becoming an environmental health officer in the USPHS Commissioned Corps
Read full story


Bachelor’s or master’s degree in environmental health accredited by the National Environmental Health Science and Protection Accreditation Council (EHAC)
Master's or doctoral degree in environmental health, occupational health, or industrial hygiene from a school accredited by the Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH)
CEPH degree candidates must also possess current certification as a Registered Environmental Health Specialist/Registered Sanitarian (REHS/RS) or REHS/RS-In Training by the National Environmental Health Association (NEHA). A state issued RS or REHS is acceptable if the credential is eligible for reciprocity from NEHA.
Are you fit to serve?
Find out


Career advancement and pay increases with years of service
Health and dental care at low or no cost
Mobility between government agencies
Tax-free housing and meal allowances
Financial support for education through the Post-9/11 GI Bill
Retirement pension plan
Flexibility to work in a variety of settings
College Loan Repayment
See all benefits

Where we work

Where we serve

See where our officers are serving

Request information

Ready to learn more about becoming an officer in the USPHS Commissioned Corps? We’ll send you the information you need.

See what's possible

Do you meet the basic qualifications to become a Public Health Service officer?
Find out

Learn how to apply

Ready to serve? See how to apply, from start to finish.
See how
Ready to apply?