Congratulations! You have just completed the pre-screen questionnaire in order to be considered for an appointment as an Officer in the Senior Commissioned Officer Student Training and Extern Program (SRCOSTEP) in the United States Public Health Service Commissioned Corps. Please read the information below carefully and follow the directions on how to submit your application packet for commissioning as a SRCOSTEP. If you are interested in also applying for JRCOSTEP please use the same application packet to apply for both programs (be sure to check “JRCOSTEP” on section 6 of the application in addition to the SRCOSTEP box). There are also additional documents required for JRCOSTEP, they can be found here.
The COSTEP office requests that applicants submit complete applications. You can find the items that are required for a complete application below and it is suggested that this list be utilized as a check off list.
A complete application enhances a student’s chance of selection. If an incomplete application packet is received, depending on what documents are missing, it will either be returned to the applicant or reviewed by the selecting official potentially without the adequate information that is necessary for them to make a selection.
A complete SRCOSTEP application packet includes:
- PHS-50 Application for Appointment as a Commissioned Officer in the U.S. Public Health Service Commissioned Corps two original, signed copies. Instructions for submitting an application package.
- PHS-1813 Reference Request for Applicants to the U.S. Public Health Service Commissioned Corps Four are required to be submitted in individual envelopes sealed and signed (both the form and the seal should be signed) by the individual that has completed the reference. At least one reference from a current/most recent supervisor is required (if applicable). These must be included in the completed application packet for commissioning as a SRCOSTEP.
- Official transcript from all post-secondary educational institutions attended. Any education program that is currently being attended should provide the most current semester transcript that is available. If you do not have any grades from your current educational institution, please provide a copy of your acceptance letter into your current program of study.
- Current CV/resume
- Copy of Naturalization Certificate (or other proof of U.S. Citizenship if born outside the U.S.)
For individuals currently serving or have previously served on active duty in a uniformed service other than the U.S. Public Health Service:
- The last 3 officer or enlisted evaluations only if your period of active duty service was within the last 10 years of USPHS application submission.
- Copy of all DD 214s (member-4 copy) and/or all NGB 22s
- Separation Orders (if applicable)
Send SRCOSTEP materials to:
Division of Commissioned Corps Personnel and Readiness
Attn: SRCOSTEP Program
1101 Wootton Parkway, Plaza Level, Suite 100
Rockville, MD 20852
SRCOSTEP Application Dates
Ideally SRCOSTEP application material should be postmarked by December 31 of the year before you begin your final year of school. Meeting this deadline provides a better chance of being selected by a sponsoring agency. There is no guarantee that applications will be processed in time for agency review if the application material arrives after December 31. Medical Forms and the Security background investigation will be initiated once selections have been finalized which typically occurs by March.
Important Information: As a SRCOSTEP, you must be enrolled as a full-time student in an accredited program that upon completion/graduation a commissionable degree will be conferred. SRCOSTEP tour lengths are flexible; however it is generally most beneficial for the SRCOSTEP officer and sponsoring agency that the SRCOSTEP officer is sponsored for at least 8 months. You may utilize the chart below for guidance. If candidates have questions about their individual situation you may email firstname.lastname@example.org.
|For Students Graduating:
||SRCOSTEP Application Due Date:
|Spring, Summer, or Fall 2014
||September 1, 2012 - December 31, 2012
|Spring, Summer, or Fall 2015
||September 1, 2013 - December 31, 2013
For questions about the application process please email the SRCOSTEP Program at email@example.com.
Page Last Modified on 6/19/2012
This page may require you to download plug-ins to view all content.