Congratulations! You have just completed the prescreen questionnaire to be considered for an appointment as an Officer in the Junior Commissioned Officer Student Training and Extern Program (JRCOSTEP) in the United States Public Health Service Commissioned Corps. Please read the following information carefully on how to submit your application packet for commissioning as a JRCOSTEP. If you have not completed the prescreen questionnaire, but have received a confirmation email, please ensure that you take that important first step of the commissioning process by completing the prescreen here. If you are also interested in applying for SRCOSTEP, please indicate your interest by selecting both programs on the application (be sure to check “SRCOSTEP” on section 6 of the application) and check the due date chart to see if you are eligible. If you have questions on your SRCOSTEP eligibility please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Additional documentation required for JRCOSTEP can be found here.
The COSTEP office requests that applicants submit complete application packets. You can find the items that are required for a complete application packet below. It is suggested that this list be utilized as a checklist. A complete application enhances a student’s chance of selection. If an incomplete application packet is received, depending on what documents are missing, it will either be returned to the applicant or reviewed by the selecting official, potentially without the adequate information necessary for them to make a selection.
A complete JRCOSTEP application packet includes:
- PHS-50 Application for Appointment as a Commissioned Officer in the U.S. Public Health Service Commissioned Corps (two original, signed copies).
- PHS 50 Application Instructions
- PHS-1813 Reference Request for Applicants to the U.S. Public Health Service Commissioned Corps. (Two, individually signed forms are required in sealed and signed envelopes by the individual that has completed the reference). One reference must be from a current/most recent supervisor is required (if applicable). These must be included in the completed application packet for commissioning as a JRCOSTEP.
- Official transcript from all post-secondary educational institutions attended. Any education program that is currently being attended should provide the most current semester transcript that is available. If grades from your current educational institution are not available, please provide a copy of your acceptance letter from your current program of study.
- Current CV/Resume
- Copy of Naturalization Certificate (or other proof of U.S. Citizenship if born outside the U.S.)
For individuals currently serving or have previously served on active duty in a uniformed service other than the U.S. Public Health Service:
- The last 3 officers or enlisted evaluations only if your period of active duty service was within the last 10 years of USPHS application submission.
- Copy of all DD 214s (member-4 copy) and/or all NGB 22s
- Separation Orders and/or Discharge Certificate (if applicable)
Send JRCOSTEP materials to:
Division of Commissioned Corps Personnel and Readiness (DCCPR)
Attn: JRCOSTEP Program
1101 Wootton Parkway, Plaza Level, Suite 100
Rockville, MD 20852
For questions about the application process please feel free to email us at email@example.com. firstname.lastname@example.org.
Page Last Modified on 7/6/2012
This page may require you to download plug-ins to view all content.