Congratulations! You have just completed the prescreen questionnaire in order to be considered for an appointment as a United States Public Health Service Commissioned Corps officer. Please read the information below carefully and follow the directions on how to submit your initial application packet. You may also refer to the USPHS Application Lifecycle [PDF] for information about each step in the application and commissioning process.
If you received a confirmation email but did not complete the prescreen questionnaire, please take the important first step in the commissioning process and complete the prescreen today.
The Office of Commissioned Corps Operations requires complete application packets. A complete application packet includes:
- U.S. Public Health Service Complete Commissioning Application Packet Checklist
- Two original, signed copies of the PHS-50 Application for Appointment as a Commissioned Officer in the U.S. Public Health Service Commissioned Corps
- PHS-1813 Reference Request for Applicants to the U.S. Public Health Service Commissioned Corps. Four are required to be submitted in individual envelopes sealed and signed (both the form and the seal) by the individual that has completed the reference. At least one reference from a current supervisor is required.
- Official transcripts from all post-secondary educational institutions attended. Any education program that is currently being attended should provide the most current semester transcript that is available.
- Two copies of your current CV/resume. This must go back to when you received your qualifying degree, the degree which qualifies you for a commission. The dates worked must be in month/year format and you must include the average hours per week at each place of employment. If you were unemployed for a time period, you must specify the time periods for which you were unemployed.
- Copy of a current professional license, and/or board certifications (if license/board certified and/or if applicable). For disciplines that require residency or other professional training programs please include documentation of completion.
- Copy of Naturalization Certificate (or other proof of U.S. Citizenship if and only if born outside the U.S.)
- OF-306 Declaration for Federal Employment
- HHS Credit Release
- SF 93 Report of Medical History. DO NOT seek the attention of a healthcare professional to complete this form. It must be filled out and signed by you. Additional medical forms and medical examination information will be sent later in the process.
- Medical Prescreen Worksheet
For individuals currently serving or those who have previously served on active duty in a uniformed service other than the U.S. Public Health Service:
- Three most recent officer or enlisted evaluations (only if your period of active duty service was within the last 10 years of USPHS application submission)
- Copy of all DD 214s (member-4 copy) and/or all NGB 22s
- PHS-6134 Statement of Service mailed to your respective service and/or a copy of your latest point sheets
- DD-368 Request for Conditional Release; or
- Valid Authorization for an Inter-service Transfer to the U.S. Public Health Service Commissioned Corps (officers serving on active duty only) according to Commissioned Corps Instruction CC23.3.5; or
- Separation Orders
Please submit all the information and forms listed above. Each reference and transcript should be sent in their original sealed envelopes to ensure the integrity of the information contained therein.
Mail, or send via courier, the completed package to:
Office of Commissioned Corps Operations
Attention: Division of Commissioned Corps Assignments
1101 Wootton Parkway, Plaza Level, Suite 100
Rockville, Maryland 20852
Only complete application packages are accepted for processing.
Securing a commission as an officer in the Commissioned Corps of the United States Public Health Service is a multi-step process. The submission of the application package is the first step in the USPHS Commissioning Process [PDF] which also includes professional clearance, medical qualification and security determination.
You must also apply for employment and be selected by an agency in which Corps officers serve. A Career and Assignment Manager will notify you when to begin the other phases of the commissioning process.
Status of application updates will not be made until after a complete application packet for commissioning has been submitted and you have been invited and attended the New Applicant Orientation Conference Call.
Page Last Modified on 1/23/2012
This page may require you to download plug-ins to view all content.